Pages

February 28, 2011

Here I am



I wrestled many times as to whether or not I wanted to blog about this, I wasn't sure if I wanted to put this on my "normal blog" so I created a new one just for this and then realized I could barely keep up with one blog - much less too.

I have reached a point in my life where I have decided to pursue weight loss surgery.  I have always struggled with weight.  In high school I played basketball (well I sat the bench), but I practiced every day just like the rest of the team.  Running, jogging, etc....it kept me in check.  I still was "over weight" but I was active enough to keep it to a minimum.

Then came college....I stayed active-ish.  My diet suffered and I gained the freshman 15+...

Then came life after college....I at times stayed on track, joined gyms, worked out in my apartment work out center...had babies, lost a baby...and gained, and gained.

I tried Atkins, the "zone", low carb, low glycemic, low fat, the "mayo clinic", weight watchers, slim fast, you name it, I probably tried it.  Of course I lost some, felt great, then would stop losing, or gain not only what I lost plus more.

So I started researching WLS.  I read threads on forums, I talked to some who had done it, I read studies, I have done the research.  I got my referral and I have attended my orientation session at the Bariatric clinic aboard Womack Army Medical Clinic.  I have decided what surgery I will have (as long as the surgeon approves) and according to the orientation class I will have the surgery as early as 3 months from now.

A lot of people complain that they feel this is an easy way out, that this is "cheating".  Maybe for some it is, but this clinic has a different approach.  I have to attend educational and support meetings before the surgery, I have to do a log book of everything I eat 2 months before surgery, do a battery of tests, see a nutritionist, a psychologist, and attend post-op support groups.

The bad thing is I have to drive 2 hours one way to do it - but I think it will be well worth it.

I have finished my check list - and I have a date of March 15th.  I started my low carb, high protein, liver shrinking 2 week pre-op diet....I like to refer to it as meat, meat and more meat.....

0 comments:

Post a Comment