Pages

March 19, 2009

Sunshine at last!

Yeah yeah yeah....another blog about the weather. Today is the first full day of sunshine I have seen in years! Ok, well not quite years, but many days =)

Today the kids and I are going to clean out the strawberry/tomato bed. We need to pull out old weeds and till up the soil so we can add some compost. Its still a little early to plant anything here. Its rumored that we are going to have a cold snap this weekend. The last few years I planted early then had to scramble to find things to cover my plants. This time I am going to wait a bit longer to do my planting.

We have our fresh strawberries and blueberries, and I try and grow a few large tomato plants for sliced tomatoes, a few cherry tomato plants for snacks/salads, and a few roma tomato plants for fresh salsa. I didn't can any tomatoes this past year because we had so many from the year before. This year I will need to can some, but there is a farm in the neighboring town that has them for 15/bushel and that's where I'm going to get my canning tomatoes from

Last year we tried corn (unsuccessfully) but we have had success with spaghetti squash. The spaghetti squash was an accident though, It was a volunteer plant that emerged in my compost bin....It did however produce around 15 spaghetti squash. This year we are going to try some cucumbers and some mini pumpkins...and maybe some watermelons.

Well sesame street is almost over so its time to get moving for the day. Till next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment