Pages

August 19, 2009

Pregnancy + Allergies = suck

A few weeks ago I kinda stopped taking my allergy medicine. I take allegra and since it's a class C for pregnancy I try not to take it unless I know I am going to be around things I am allergic to. (and just FYI the other ones claritin, zyrtec etc do not work for me....would be nice if they did, but they don't)

So most of the things I am allergic to are not in "season" right now...so I stopped taking it....well one problem - there is 1 thing I am allergic to that is always in season...dust mites. I try and avoid them - we only have carpet in 1 room - I sleep with pillows that have allergy coverings on them etc. But my nesting got the better of me on Friday. We have a few fans around the house to keep air moving. Two of them have nifty panels you can take off and wash ...the third does not. It was covered in dust. So I got a "craving" of sorts that it needed to be cleaned. I got my trusty screwdriver out and proceeded to take the thing apart. YUCK! You will not believe the amount of dust - spider webs - cat hair (and we haven't had an inside cat in 2 years) etc that was stuck to the motor...to the blades...to everything - and then as I cleaned became stuck to me.

5 hours later (not kidding) it began with a scratchy throat....then sinus pressure - then full head "cold" finally Monday I started feeling a little less pressure and thought I was clear - until Monday night when it all settled in my chest - now I have what I lovingly like to refer to as phase 2 - which consists of coughing and a little runny nose.

What makes matters worse is that the good stuff (aka nyquil, percocet, whisky, cocaine) is all off limits during pregnancy...so I instead am forced to do lemon tea's with honey...lots of extra water...tylenol...and the occasional sudafed...

0 comments:

Post a Comment